There are odd 200 or more medical colleges in India .In fact they have mushroomed in recent years and so are the number of aspirants. But the number of them with required infrastructure/ faculties/facilities to make good docs is few. Hence choosing a good college is as important as your dream.
You need to be within 1% of all aspirants - that is the approximate number of seat available at present in medical competition. The list of medical college private and Govt colleges can be view with this link http://www.indiaedu.com/admissions/medical-colleges/
In order to facilitate you choosing a good medical college I am attaching the list of the top 25 colleges of India ( according to a recent survey).
Top 25 Medical Colleges in India (Medicine/MBBS)
1. AIIMS, Delhi
2. Armed Forces Medical College, Pane
3. Christian Medical College, Vellore
4. JIPMER, Pondichery
5. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
6. Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi
7. Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
8. Grant Medical College, Mumbai
9. St. John's Medical College, Bangalore
10. Madras Medical College, Chennai
11. Stanley Medical College, Chennai
12. King George Medical University, Luck now
13. B.J. Medical College, Ahmedabad
14. Christian Medical college, Ludhiana
15. Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi
16. Seth G.S. Medical College, Mumbai
17. Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore
18. University College of Medical sciences, Delhi
19. Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Chennai
20. Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Mumbai
21. M.S. Ramaiah Medical college, Bangalore
22. Medical College & Hospital Kolkata
23. Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai
24. Government Medical College, Chandigarh
25. Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, AMU, Aligarh
I am sure there are many other medical colleges which provide very high standard of medical education with good faculty back up, both in private and government set up. In private sectors some colleges has persistently maintained excellent standard of medical education with fairness in selection method. This is of paramount importance as most private institution is scandal led with corrupt practices in the selection procedure. Such thing serves the least of the interest of the student of our state (Tripura) with financial constraint. Few areas where you have fair chances of selection in a fair way and have plenty of open seats are
1) Kasturba Medical College, Manipal,
2) Sikkim Manipal at Gangtok In both Colleges, Tests are on line and scorings are given immediately and fair Problem---- The fee structure is high say 3.5 lacs to 4 lacs per year and no unfair practice.
3) Private colleges of Karnataka--- Admission through Comed-K --an examination with established fairness in the admission procedures. The fee structure varies from 2.5 to 4 lacs per year depending on the college.
4) Private colleges of Maharastra-- Through AMUPMDC Exam are fair and fee structure ranges from 1.75 to 3.5 lacs per year.
Exams conducted by deem universities and private medical colleges of other states are mostly "DOOM" or useless, as they hardly provide admission through merit. Extra donation plays the major role.
So make sure that you choose enough numbers of colleges to increase your chances. There is no harm in writing all the colleges I mentioned above.
I am sure you are some what clear about the possible opportunities you are going to avail.